Atletico Madrid and Uruguay forward Luis Suarez has tested positive for COVID-19, the Uruguay national team said in a statement on Monday.
Uruguay’s statement said top scorer Suarez and stand-in goalkeeper Rodrigo Munoz plus a staff member had tested positive.
Other members of the squad had all tested negative ahead of Tuesday’s World Cup qualifier at home to Brazil.
The statement added that all three are “in good health,” and said the team had followed protocol and taken the appropriate measures following the results.
It now seems certain Suarez will miss the game against Barcelona which will be a blow to Diego Simeone’s side who have started the season in fine form.
Suarez has five La Liga goals for Atletico since his move from the Camp Nou, with the Rojiblancos six points ahead of Barca in the table.
Simeone’s side are also still yet to taste defeat in the Spanish top flight in 2020-21 and, impressively, have only conceded two goals so far.