Bayern chief Hasan Salihamidzic has lifted the lid on the club’s failed move for Callum Hudson-Odoi and claims Chelsea’s excessive demands got in the way of a potential agreement before the transfer deadline.
The Bundesliga champions missed out on Hudson-Odoi last January and identified the 19-year-old as one of their top targets again this summer, with Hansi Flick on the hunt for attacking reinforcements.
However, Chelsea rejected an offer from Bayern to take Hudson-Odoi on loan with a £70million option to buy and the England international will remain in west London for the 2020/21 campaign.
Asked about Bayern’s unsuccessful bid to sign Hudson-Odoi, the club’s sporting director Salihamidzic told Sport Bild: ‘There are transfers that come to the point where you have to say: “We have to leave this immediately”.
It is all the more important that one thinks about alternatives or alternative paths right from the start. ‘We negotiated with Chelsea but there was no agreement. That happens.’
Bayern have made no secret of their interest in Hudson-Odoi throughout their pursuit and head coach Flick recently hailed the winger’s talent and versatility. ‘He is one of the greatest talents in that position,’ he said following the side’s 4-3 win over Hertha Berlin. ‘He can play wide and as a No.10 so it’s entirely legitimate that we at Bayern Munich are interested in him.’
Hudson-Odoi came off the bench to open his account for the season in Chelsea’s thrilling 3-3 draw away West Brom last month.
Frank Lampard rewarded Hudson-Odoi with a place in his starting XI the following weekend as Chelsea put four goals past Crystal Palace at Stamford Bridge.
The teenager will no doubt be desperate to continue his run in the side this Saturday when the Blues play host to Southampton.